Sunday 12 May 2013

Pink and grey tartan dress

I have been wanting to make a tartan dress for aaages... Well I am Scottish after all!

What put me off was matching the pattern up and finding the correct pattern. I have been looking but have yet to find a pattern that suited the style in my head. That is also free. I don't want to buy expensive patterns if I can avoid it.

So... I decided to have a go at my own pattern again! I don't know if I'm weird, but the pattern pieces seem to make more sense to me when I have placed and cut them myself. I also find it easier to input
Much needed bust darts when I can fiddle about myself.

I have went with a basic half circle skirt this time (quite short again) and this time a scoop neck bodice (1 piece for front and 1 for back)... I made a princess seam dart so it looks like different pattern pieces but they did all originate from 1 piece which is easier to fit and pin. Especially when using patterned fabric like tartan.

I have taken pictures of each step so I will publish my first attempt at a tutorial when it is finished. I'm almost done. Here is a wee taster of what it looks like at the moment.

I hope to wear it to a cèilidh (kay-lee) this coming weekend. I'm sure you know what that is, but in case you don't - it is a Scottish dancing night with fast folk music :-) "a wee jig"

1 comment:

  1. It looks great so far! I like that you did the skirt on the bias. It's a cute touch.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
I'd really love to know your thoughts... so why not leave a wee comment!

Popular Posts

Quick search