Today, I decided to attempt the swishy dress. You may remember I bought the lovely Amy Butler floral print especially for it? Well... A few issues.
1. The katjusha free pattern on burda is definitely not my size. Not even close. I thought... It's ok, I'm sure it can be scaled up.
2. The fabric is really short on the width. I definitely could not get a circle out of it and if I cut it any other way, I wouldn't have fabric for the rest of it!
3. Most importantly... My bust. There are 3 parts to the katjusha bust panel (not including a lining) and that would mean a lot of editing and re-adjusting and I. Would no doubt get it wrong.
So then I started thinking (whilst watching Step Up again) "why faff around with someone else's pattern and hope for the best - why not attempt your own pattern?"
Now, I'm still a novice, but I found a few you tube videos and websites that had plenty of ideas on how to construct a circle skirt without having a huge piece of fabric. I also have lots of tissue paper and a dress form that has my measurements.
I went for it and cut the skirt first. It pinned perfectly together (2 halves) except it is just a bit shorter than I'd have ideally liked because of the fabric width, but I'm very short anyway and usually knock off a few inches at the hemming stage of most things anyway. And I will still use the lacy trim that I purchased.
So then I used my tissue and started draping, pinning, drawing and sticky taping segments together for the bodice, bust and back. It may not be how professionals do it, but is so far working for me.
I hate bulging skin or the side of my bra showing - this is what I usually have to put up with in regular shops. I also am not fond of halters from the back (unflattering on me and limit the type of bra that can be worn) so I thought... I can make the fabric go where I really want!
I am mostly inspired by a dress that I saw on eBay a few years ago. I tried to buy it but they sold out of my size then stopped making it completely. It is one where there is a "boob shaped curve" to the bodice under the bust. It also had buttons down the front. I may attempt that too. Just have to see if it would be too fussy.
I'm currently pinning and pinching away and working on the bust at the moment. Will publish the next bit of progress soon. Excuse the background mess! I'm too excited to tidy as I go. :-)
- 50's swing dress project and new fabric (1)
- bust darts (1)
- Denim dress (4)
- Denim dress complete (1)
- Denim scrap skirt (2)
- dress (1)
- Fabric Choice (1)
- First Skirt Project (3)
- Floral Swish Dress (1)
- Floral Swishy Dress (2)
- floral tea dress (1)
- full bust adjustment (2)
- green (1)
- Green and pink scrap wrap skirt (1)
- Half circle skirt (1)
- Learning to sew (1)
- Mad men (1)
- Metric vs Imperial measurement (1)
- My first Creation: Pink dress (baby cord carousel horse pattern) (1)
- My Workspace (1)
- neck line (2)
- Ottobre (1)
- Pattern adjustments for bust (1)
- pattern alterations (1)
- pattern making (2)
- patterned fabric (1)
- peplum (1)
- perfect fit (1)
- Pink tartan dress (1)
- piping (3)
- pockets (1)
- random (1)
- Sewing magazines (1)
- Sewing with stretchy fabric (1)
- Spotty Green Skirt (2)
- Striped skirt (1)
- Tartan dress (1)
- Using scraps (3)
- Using the sewing machine (1)
It took me 1/2 a day but my skirt is cute! The weird thing was that the zip as waistband should have been hard and the seams should have bee...
I hate wasting fabric. The thought of throwing scraps away seem awful to me. But the thought of them lying in a tub and not getting used als...
I have forgone my lunch and everything! I was just too excited to work on the dress! I still have some tweaking to do... Add a trim, take ...
I started and finished this spontaneous project in a few hours. As mentioned previously, I want to use my big bits of "scrap" befo...
I have been wanting to make a tartan dress for aaages... Well I am Scottish after all! What put me off was matching the pattern up and fin...
Well, the first one I am actually proud of! I started it a looooong time ago by cutting the pieces. Then I forgot all about it and the par...
As mentioned, I used bias cut triangles. 2 big isosceles triangles for the front and back and 2 smaller ones for the side seams (these one...
So, I haven't had much time for personal creativity this week. I have had a busy week at work (lots of reports to write), I have also ha...
I am starting my new project! I bought Cloth magazine at the weekend and fell in love with the skirt shape I the "pinafore pattern"...
I literally finished the final fit and trim 30 mins before I wore it out tonight! I am a swing and jive dancer and tonight was a party nigh...